Our Commitment to Privacy
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual recorded in any form and includes, but is not limited to, such things as race, ethnic origin, colour, age, marital status, religion, education, employment or financial history, address and telephone number, numerical identifiers such as the Social Insurance Number, and views and personal opinions.
Consent voluntary agreement with what is being done or proposed. Consent can be either express or implied. Given explicitly, either orally or in writing, express consent is unequivocal and does not require any inference on the part of Fairchild Radio seeking consent; Implied consent arises where consent may reasonably be inferred from the action or inaction of the individual.
Collection the act of gathering, acquiring or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
Use refers to the treatment and handling of personal information within Fairchild Radio.
Disclosure making personal information available to others outside Fairchild Radio.
Our Ten Privacy Principles
The Person Responsible for Privacy for Fairchild Radio is:
Emily Wu, Human Resources & Administration Manager
2090 Aberdeen Centre, 4151 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond, B.C. V6X 4J7
- Identifying Purposes Fairchild Radio will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. The purposes for which information is collected, used or disclosed by Fairchild Radio must be those that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
- Consent The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where consent is not required by law. As an exception to this general rule, consent is not required under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act if the collection, use or disclosure of the personal information is solely for journalistic, artistic or literary purposes.
For example: A listener who calls a radio station to enter a contest would reasonably expect that the relevant contact information (name, phone number, personal information) would be collected and used to identify the listener if and when he or she was selected as a contest winner. However, the listener would not reasonably expect that this information would be used for any purpose other than administration of the contest, without the listener's knowledge and consent.
- Limiting Collection Fairchild Radio will limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by Fairchild Radio. Personal information shall be collected by fair and lawful means. Fairchild Radio will not collect personal information indiscriminately.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes. Consent of the individual must be obtained prior to use of the information for a new purpose. Personal information that has been used to make a decision about an individual shall be retained long enough to allow the individual access to the information after the decision has been made. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfill the identified purposes should be destroyed, erased, or made anonymous.
- Accuracy Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. Fairchild Radio shall not routinely update personal information, unless this is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected.
- Safeguards Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. More sensitive information should be safeguarded by a higher level of protection.
- Openness Fairchild Radio shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information. Individuals shall be able to acquire information about Fairchild Radio's policies and practices without unreasonable effort. This information shall be made available in a form that is generally understandable.
- Individual Access Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information except where Fairchild Radio is permitted or required by law not to disclose personal information to the individual. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information disclosed to the individual and have it amended as appropriate. In addition, Fairchild Radio shall provide an account of the use that has been made or is being made of this information and an account of the third parties to which it has been disclosed. Fairchild Radio shall respond to an individual's request within a reasonable time and in any event within thirty (30) days of the request and for access to his or her personal information at minimal or no cost.
- Challenging Compliance An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the Person Responsible for Privacy.